James W. Grable, Jr.
James W. Grable, Jr. focuses his practice on complex federal criminal and civil litigation, handling trial and appellate matters in federal and state courts. He has represented multi-national corporations in criminal investigations and civil disputes, and impoverished defendants in assigned criminal and civil matters. Examples of his diverse experience include:
- Obtaining dismissal of all criminal charges against a teacher accused of sexual contact with several students, and winning a sealing order barring additional public disclosure of the allegations. Jim then secured a civil settlement to compensate the falsely accused teacher for damage to his reputation.
- Securing dismissal before a federal trial of discrimination allegations against a police commissioner, and affirming the dismissal of all causes of action.
- Winning an acquittal at trial of a medical professional criminally charged with sexually abusing his patient, obtaining a sealing order protecting the client from additional public disclosure of the accusations and his identity, and then obtaining a full dismissal of all state licensing charges against his client.
- Conducting an internal investigation for a company concerned about potential environmental violations, and drafting a compliance plan that the company adopted to avoid future environmental issues and protect its workers.
- Preventing the imposition of federal or state criminal charges against an accountant and CFO, and successfully representing this business professional before the Securities and Exchange Commission to avoid adverse SEC action by the agency.
- Winning a trial order of dismissal at the close of the prosecution’s proof, successfully dismissing all criminal charges against a police officer charged with official misconduct.
- Obtaining an acquittal at trial of a young man accused of date rape.
- Obtaining a seven-figure settlement of products liability claims against the manufacturer and seller of a product that injured a young man’s eye.
Jim has amassed extensive knowledge and experience in the area of sentencing, and in 2011 was appointed by the United States Sentencing Commission to serve as a voting member of the Sentencing Commission’s Practitioners Advisory Group. Jim was reappointed to a second term on the Group in 2013.
From 1996-1998, Jim served as confidential law clerk to the Hon. William M. Skretny, United States District Court Judge for the Western District of New York.
Jim serves on the board of directors of the New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He also has served as an adjunct professor of trial technique at the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School. He lectures frequently on evidence and federal trial objections.
Jim strongly believes in the responsibility of lawyers to serve those who cannot afford representation. He serves on the Criminal Justice Act panel in the United States District Court for the Western District of New York, where he represents impoverished individuals facing criminal charges. His work trying a federal civil case on behalf of a prison inmate resulted in the court awarding him its Special Service Award for his “outstanding pro bono counsel representation and dedication.”
Jim earned his J.D. with honors from the State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, where he served as Editor-in-Chief of the Buffalo Law Review. Jim earned his B.A. magna cum laude from the State University of New York at Buffalo, where he was also a University Honors Scholar and Phi Beta Kappa.
Did You Know? Jim, his wife Laura, and their four children reside in Clarence, NY, where Jim has coached youth baseball, hockey, and basketball.
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Voting Member, United States Sentencing Commission’s Practitioners Advisory Group
- Director, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Vice President, St. Gregory the Great School Athletic Association
- Former Adjunct Professor of Trial Technique, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School
- Former Director, State University of New York at Buffalo Law School Alumni Association
- Super Lawyers
- Best Lawyers in America
- Buffalo Business First, Who’s Who in the Law
- Special Service Award Winner, United States District Court, WDNY
- Recipient of American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV rated
- Editor-in-Chief, Buffalo Law Review
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, Robert J. Connelly Award
- Buffalo Law Review, Carlos C. Alden Award